Important readings for new members of the Halfon lab
It's expected that members of the laboratory will be familiar with the published works of the lab. Here are a few reviews and other works that will provide some valuable general background to the work we do:
- A great tutorial on Drosophila genetics has been published in G3 by Roote and Prokop (2013). You can download the main tutorial here. The supplemental documentation can be found here. This is a must-read if you're going to be doing fly work.
- This excellent primer on Drosophila in general provides an overview of Drosophila as a model research organism.
- Read about the "Drosophila research ecosystem" here
Other useful reviews and resources are listed below, and on the general "resources for students and postdocs" page:
- Culturing Drosophila html pdf
- More basic Drosophila information: pdf
- Drosophila anatomy: Atlas of Drosophila Development
- Transgenic Flies: Venken and Bellen. Transgenesis upgrades for Drosophila melanogaster. Development (2007) 134:3571-84
- On using kits: Editorial. Nature Methods (2011) 8:983
- CRMs: Arnosti. Analysis and function of transcriptional regulatory elements: insights from Drosophila. Annu. Rev. Entomol. (2003) 48:579-602
- Regulatory Genomics: Vingron et al. Integrating sequence, evolution and functional genomics in regulatory genomics. Genome Biol (2009) 10:202